Are you still thinking of what to eat after a workout in the morning? Are you aware that a professional athlete like Cristiano Ronaldo eats cheese, ham, fruits, and yoghurt with low fat as his breakfast? In this article, I will guide you on what you need to eat after morning exercise.
Similarly, I will also share information on meals you need to avoid after concluding your workout in the morning.
According to research, about 13.5% of athletes are having eating disorders. This leads to Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport (RED-S)
Our body is like a machine. Once you use it, you will need to refuel it for optimal performance. This is because it will convert the food you ate before going for the exercise into fuel during the during exercise.
Therefore, you need to give the body (engine) more fuel to simplify the remaining tasks on your schedule for the day.
Finding the right meal after a workout might be difficult for most of the times. This is because you went to the exercise to either lose weight, improve your health status, or maintain your current body shape.
At the end of your exercise, your mind will start asking you question like what if the food I eat after my workout cancels and even add more unnecessary junk to my body?
Thus, give all necessary attention to the food you eat after your exercise to avoid adding more junk food that would rather accumulate more fat on your body? Hence, rendering your exercise useless.
So, before you consider your next meal after a workout in the morning. Think of the type of exercise you will do and how long it will take you to finish.
After finishing your workout in the morning, your muscles will get tired and you have to make them recover. To make your muscles recover after a workout in the morning, consider eating the right food.
Factors for Choosing Your Meals
Our body needs carbohydrates and fluids to re-energise itself. This is because they can help you remain active and focused on the remaining activities of the day.
Now, here are some important factors to consider while choosing your meals:
- The period of digestion takes place according to the type of food you eat.
- Some foods like meat and fish take a longer time to circulate through our digestive tract ( may take up to two days)
- Foods like vegetables and fruits can digest faster.
- Dense foods take a larger time to digest.
- Our body receives more fat in the evening than it receives in the morning. Because the insulin in our body is resisted in the morning.
What Foods to Eat After a Workout to Prevent Dehydration and Muscle Soreness.
While driving your car, the more you push on the engine, the more you release unwanted substances and burn your fuel.
The same thing applies to your body, it releases unwanted substances like sweat. Hence, you may likely experience dehydration after you work out in the morning.
Because of dehydration, your body may experience thirst, dry mouth, fatigue, dizziness, lightheadedness and in some cases confusion as soon as you workout in the morning.
Thus, it’s important to give more attention to breakfast with a high percentage of water when you finish your exercise to prevent dehydration.
Also, it’s important to know that some of the foods we eat contain a percentage of water. These include:
- Cucumber – 95% of water
- Fresh Tomatoes – 95% of water
- Watermelon – 92% of water
- Apples – 100grams of apple contains 86% of water.
- Lettuce – 95% of water
Importance of Consuming Enough Water After a Workout
Water is very important for you to stay healthy. After your workout, you will lose bodily fluids and electrolytes in the form of perspiration or breathing. Therefore, water is very important for your survival.
About 60% of your body is made up of water. At the end of your exercise, you need to drink 2 cups of water after losing weight of one pound. Hence, drinking water after a workout will help your body system to regain its lost fluid.
Now, water helps your body in:
- Digesting food
- For your brain to function
- To help check and control your body temperature
- Spinal cord to work optimally
- Transporting oxygen in the body
- Lubrication of the body joints
- Detoxification of the body through urine
- Active heart and blood circulation
Moreover, by drinking water you are influencing the aforementioned functions to work properly when you.
Here are some of the fluids to drink after a workout in the morning to help prevent dehydration and also regain your energy:
- Water: Your body needs water to fully recover after the exercise.
- Sports drinks: There are drinks that are specifically made for sportsmen. Taking those drinks will also help your body after working out.
- Soda: Soda is another drink you can take after for Post work out drinks. It is rich in electrolytes.
- Yoghurt with low fat
- Low-fat Ice cream
The Importance of Consuming Protein After a Workout in the Morning.
Protein plays a vital role in your body. It helps in replenishing your body tissues and serves as a fuel that helps your body to function effectively.
Eating a protein-rich breakfast is very important for your body. Protein has many benefits to your body and one of them is the movement of oxygen during blood circulation.
Protein can also help your body to:
- Balance the body fluid in your body.
- Improve the immune system of the body.
- Improve your vision
- Restores energy in your body.
- It helps insulin (hormone) balance the blood sugar in your body.
- Acts as a catalyst
- Influence muscle growth
- Helps to increase your body strength.
- Transform your bones
- It plays role in curing your injury
Some of the protein-rich food you need to eat after an exercise in the morning include:
- Protein Bar
- Ricotta cheese
- Whey protein powder (fast digesting protein)
You may also like to read:
- –Secrets of Protein You Need to Know
- –Secrets to living a healthier and happier lifestyle
- –How Caffeine Can Change Your Life for Good
Benefits of consuming carbohydrates after a workout
Carbohydrates are the most essential fuel that drives your energy. It gives you the energy you need for your body to function.
Functions of carbohydrates in the body include:
- To stabilize your brain
- It helps your kidney to function effectively
- Gives you energy
- Improves memory
- Helps the Brain to remain active
- It feeds energy to your spinal cord.
Recommended Carbohydrates after work out in the morning are:
- Citrus fruits
- Low sugar Bread
- Low sugar Biscuits
- Sweet potatoes
Importance of Consuming Fats After a Workout.
Eating breakfast that contains fat is not advisable after your morning exercise. This is because fats can affect and delay the digestion of your food, which will slow the delivery of essential nutrients (like protein and carbohydrates) to your muscles.
For every gram of fats, there are 9 calories of energy, which means that there is an additional 5 calories of energy compared to carbohydrates (4cal) and protein (4cal).
You may also need to avoid eating fats after your workout in the morning.
Importance of consuming fruits and vegetables after a workout.
Are you looking for a way to increase minerals, vitamins, and fibres in your diet? Thus, start adding fruit and vegetables to your diet.
Benefits of fruits and vegetables to your body include:
- Reduce the risk of diseases
- Helps improve the immune system
- Reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Improve vision
- Strengthen your bones
- They are rich in magnesium
- They are antioxidants
- They contain a high quantity of vitamin c
- They are high in fibre
- It helps your skin to look healthy
- Act as brain boosters
- They give you the energy you need.
- Helps to lower the risk of a disease of heart (heart disease)
- Lower blood cholesterol levels
As you can see from the above points mentioned, adding fruits and vegetables to your breakfast after a morning workout would help you to achieve a fit and healthy body.
Recommended vegetables and fruits after a workout in the morning are:
- Green peas
Importance of consuming snacks after a workout
Choosing the right snack after a workout in the morning is also very important for you to recover your depleted energy, and even give room for your muscles to recover faster.
Here are some snacks for you after an exercise in the morning:
- Protein bars
- Low-fat Greek yoghurt
- Trail mix
You may also like to read:
You may also like to check:
Physicscalculations – Learn Physics Calculations
You may also like to check:
Wokminer – Search and apply for any job in any location